Party Dress goes Boy

Project Run and Play - week 1

So Project Run and Play has started again and this week's challenge was to remix the Party Dress Pattern by Lindsay at The Cottage Home.
I have no little girl to make dresses for so I wanted to remix it into something one of my boys could wear. I ended up with some romper style flared trousers for the little one.


Changes to the original pattern:

I took the bodice of the original pattern, size 18-24 months (adding a little on the shoulders, at the bottom and in the back)


Then I put on trousers instead of a skirt. I used a trouser pattern (size 80/1 year) that I had lying around and added some length and flare. To find out how long they needed to be from shoulder to crotch I just measured some dungarees I had (size 86/18 months).

I liked the contrasting fabric at the bottom of the original dress, and the sash, so I turned these into a middle stripe and cuffs on my trousers.

Even though I like fabric coated buttons and loops I thought these would make the trousers a little too girly and decided to go for snaps instead.

 All the parts cut out.

I love all the details that make homemade clothes unique, so I added an owl application and piping on the bodice and pockets with piping on the trousers. I love piping! (And my next post might be a tutorial on how to make and use it...)

Almost forgot: the fabrics - brown baby cord (stoff & stil), a small piece owl baby cord by Hamburger Liebe (Michas Stoffecke), yellow cotton (quilting weight) as lining and a small red piece for the piping.

Kommentarer

  1. Wow! I've been waiting for someone to make this for a boy. It turned out very cute. I love that little owl.

    SvarSlett
  2. Excellent remix! You use such amazing color and creativity in your designs!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks Shannon, looking forward to seeing what you have come up with!

      Slett
  3. Just love this look for a boy. Great job turning the challenge into something just for you! And I agree with you about homemade clothes...it's the little things.

    SvarSlett
  4. Did you make the tee also?
    Love the stripes!!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. No, I didn't make the tee (well, it's a onesie really), but it's one of my favourite. I thought about making a matching shirt, but there's only so many shirts a little boy needs...

      Slett
  5. I love those pockets! So much. And yay for boy stuff! :)

    SvarSlett
  6. Godt jobba! Kjempefint antrekk til Veslefar! Det er kjekt å kunne tilpasse mønster og få det akkurat slik en vil. Og denne blir garantert ikke "borte" i barnehagen.

    Ønsker deg god helg!

    Klem fra Ingunn

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Takk, takk!
      God helg til deg også, Ingunn!

      Slett
  7. loved that you remixed the pattern into a romper for a boy !

    SvarSlett
  8. fantastic ! I also have no little girlie to sew for, you've inspired me to think a bit broader than I have been about patterns.

    SvarSlett
  9. For en herlig buksedress! Du er virkelig kreativ! Har lagt meg til som følger hos deg!

    SvarSlett
  10. look at that cute little owl, I love it all, your fabrics and design! great job!

    SvarSlett

Legg inn en kommentar

Populære innlegg